Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adapt a Roll

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barking Spiders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a 6X9 adapt a roll for a 2X3 camera. If there is anyone out there who has used this film holder, I'd like some input about how it compares to other film holders. Does this holder keep the film reasonibly flat?

Thanks,

Eric
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-22 07:46, Barking Spiders wrote:
I just ordered a 6X9 adapt a roll for a 2X3 camera. If there is anyone out there who has used this film holder, I'd like some input about how it compares to other film holders. Does this holder keep the film reasonibly flat?

Thanks,

Eric

I have a couple of adapt-a-rolls and a very late lever-advance rh8. the adapt-a-rolls seem to keep the film a little flatter, even though it makes a really sharp turn at the end of the holder. ymmv.

cheers,

dan
DonH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year!! I picked up an Adapt-A-Roll awhile back, works like a champ. If it's clean, and all parts are moving freely. The counter works by friction of the film moving over a roller assembly. The bigest problem is finding enough 620 spools to keep you going. A 120 spool fits fine ine the feed side, but WILL NOT FIT the take-up side. Start looking for 620 spools, and have fun.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Adapt-
a-Roll film holder has the 620 roll just reroll the film back onto the 120 roll in a dark bag its not hard and use your 620 roll agian, or you can sand down the aluminum spacer on the take up side so a 120 spool will fit and cut the spool ends down so they clear the case.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-01 21:56, hartwell_a_m wrote:
If your Adapt-
a-Roll film holder has the 620 roll just reroll the film back onto the 120 roll in a dark bag its not hard and use your 620 roll agian, or you can sand down the aluminum spacer on the take up side so a 120 spool will fit and cut the spool ends down so they clear the case.

Veery interesting. Have you actually done this?

Cheers,

Dan
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have an Adapt-A-Roll film back that I have done this with. The plastic 120/220 spools are relitivly easy to trim down with a dremmel tool.
Barking Spiders

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. I just processed my first test shots from the adapt a roll with my Graflex XL. Wide open at f3.5 There doesnt seem to be any problem with flatness or with spacing. It appears that I'm good to go.

I'll just have to break out the dremmel and trim down some 120 spools to see if that works:)
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-05 20:54, Barking Spiders wrote:
Thanks for the advise. I just processed my first test shots from the adapt a roll with my Graflex XL. Wide open at f3.5 There doesnt seem to be any problem with flatness or with spacing. It appears that I'm good to go.

I'll just have to break out the dremmel and trim down some 120 spools to see if that works:)

Um, er, ah, not to rain on any parades or anything, but you'll be in as much trouble that way as if you find some 620 spools for take up. Namely, you'll have to put the exposed film back on a 120 spool to go to the lab, otherwise you'll risk losing your carefully crafted take up spool every time you send it off. You may find it easier, in the long run, to get some 620 spools.

Cheers,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, dealers are on to the desirability of 620 spools and are asking top prices. At a recent camera show, the guy was asking $5 for a roll of outdated 620 film, which I wanted just for the spool. He even told me that was the reason for the high price. At that rate, amassing a bunch of 620 spools could cost you some real money.

Ask your local lab if they will save and return your 620 spools. They just throw them out anyway---my lab always has a big box of 120 spools free for the taking.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-06 09:11, Henry wrote:
Problem is, dealers are on to the desirability of 620 spools and are asking top prices. At a recent camera show, the guy was asking $5 for a roll of outdated 620 film, which I wanted just for the spool. He even told me that was the reason for the high price. At that rate, amassing a bunch of 620 spools could cost you some real money.

Ask your local lab if they will save and return your 620 spools. They just throw them out anyway---my lab always has a big box of 120 spools free for the taking.

Henry, that's pretty much my point. The guy is going to have to put the film back on a normal 120 spool anyway before sending it to the lab IF he wants to keep the take-up spool. Why do the extra work of carving up a 120 spool when it won't save time or trouble?

Incidentally, I've tried carving up a 120 spool for use in my Adapt-a-rolls. Couldn't get it to work anywhere near as well as a 620.

Cheers,

Dan
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use a 120 size spool as a take up spool you have to carefuly file down the aluminum spacer on the take up side and trim about 1mm of of the spool flanges otherwise the 120 spool wont fit, even after trimming the spacer on the take up side you can use 620 spools as take up spools.
GregStaab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have instructions on loading film in the adaptaroll? I don't want to waste a roll of film putting it in wrong?
Greg
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-21 12:05, GregStaab wrote:
does anyone have instructions on loading film in the adaptaroll? I don't want to waste a roll of film putting it in wrong?
Greg

I thought they'd been posted on this site. If you can't find them and are stuck, e-mail me (76266.333@compuserve.com) and I'll send you a copy of the original instructions.

Basically what you do is insert the feed roll, positioned so that the inside of the backing faces the back of the holter in the holder. Then carefully pull off some backing, slide it around the knurled roller whose cam whacks the counter's ratchet. Slide it through the front of the holder (dark slide removed, naturally) and into the slot at the spool end of the holder. Run it under the feed spool, get it started on the take-up spool. Then close the holder and wind until the tape that hold the film to the backing just shows at the far end. Insert dark slide, advance film 4 clicks if you're brave or 5 if you're not sure, and there you are.

Best to try this out with a dead roll. The only hard parts are getting the film back into the take up chamber and then atytaching it to the take up spool.

Cheers,

Dan

p.s., I've just given you the official instructions in my words.
GregStaab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, thanks I had an old roll I sacrificed. I wasn't sure about setting the film counter, but I think I've got it figured out.
GregStaab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, thanks I had an old roll I sacrificed. I wasn't sure about setting the film counter, but I think I've got it figured out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: