Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grafmatic film holder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdv59

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently obtained a Graflex Grafmatic "45" film holder complete with septums for use with a Linhof Technikardan 45S. However, it doesn't fit! The width of the Grafmatic is 125mm -- too wide for the 120mm of space afforded by the groundglass frame of the camera. All my other film holders (Fidelity, Polaroid, etc.)are 120mm wide. Can anyone shed some light on this? I feel I've been had.
R.H.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I bought my "45" GRAFLEX Grafmatic film holder for my 4x5 Speed. Apparently, there's a "45" GRAPHIC Grafmatic film holder that I should have bought instead to fit properly. To fix this problem, I carefully filed evenly as possible both sides down until it fit in the back snug. Just be sure to use gaffers tape to cover the area around the sides that you don't want filed. This will take some elbow grease and time, but it's an option. Good luck!
Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since true GRAFLEX Grafmatics are very hard to come by I would think it would bring more than a graphic version.

YOu may be able to trade with somebody even or get something back as well. There are a lot of Super Ds and RB D that I would think their owner's wwould give nearly anything for a Grafmatic that fit.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone clarify this for me?
I have a couple 4x5 Grafmatics here. They have 'Graflex' and 'Graphic' both on them. I have a feeling you're talking about the text on the fron that says '"45" Graphic'? Does this say '"45" Graflex' on the other models?
The catalog number on mine is 1268. Is the cat # on the other different?
By the way, both mine measure 122mm, not quite 120 or 125...
I ask because I wouldn't mind picking up another one or two and would hate to get one that doesn't fit...

Thanks...

Rich...
gdv59

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out the hard way that all Grafmatic "45" film holders are not the same. Shame on me for not doing my homework. As a consequence I now own a film holder that does not fit on my Linhof Technikardan 45S -- rendering it essentially useless to me. Beware of those ******* on ebay. The holder I purchased is not the same holder represented in the auction. The holder represented was a Grafmatic "45" GraPHIC Film Holder, having the catalogue number of 1268. The holder I received is a Grafmatic "45" GraFLEX and has no catalogue number and is very similar but, nonetheless, a different film holder. It fuctions the same but instead of slits in the side of the holder similar to those found on Polaroid, Fuji Quickloads, and Kodak Readyload backs, with widths of 120mm, it is 125mm wide and has no slits. Instead, it has a lip that protrudes slightly from either side of the base of the holder to which it is secured within the groundglass frame. It appears the graflok tabs secure the holder from the top of the lip (vs graflok tabs inserted within the slits). I'm not familiar with Graflex cameras, but perhaps this style is older and designed specifically to fit Graflex cameras. Anyway, I'm relatively new to large format so I am receptive to any information regarding these backs and their differences. In the meantime, I will continue to gain as much knowledge as I can so that no one else makes the same, expensive mistake that I have made.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Graflex back, the ground glass and its frame MUST BE REMOVED before insterting a film holder, Grafmatic, bag mag or anything else. The width of the slot is larger and all accessories are locked down with sliders similar to a Graflok back. Early cameras had one slide on top, later models had two sliders, making them harder to separate from a Graflok back.

Comnsidering the rarity and value of a roll film holder for a Graflex back, I would think that a Grafmatic back for a Graflex, if advertised as such should bring a premium on ebay.

All cat 1268 Grafmatics will fit all 4x5 cameras with either a spring or Graflok back. I have used one on an anniversary but it does strain the springs.

Now just to confuse the matter, there are early and late model cat 1268 backs. There aren't enough people that know this to affect the price, but when put on X the later ones lock up the darkslide, but also have a second pin that locks up the back-- you can't pull it out again.

The earlier version will allow you to pull it out and push it in, but the darkslide is locked and and it won't double expose, put you could shoot blanks.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a lot of confusion here about Grafmatic's---And you all tend to blame the confusion on the company that made them--you must understand that many backs were made over the years for these cameras--a bit of research is necessary---and the tendency is to depend on a seller on Ebay, as an expert on what they are selling (usually cant spell their own name)At least know what you have on the back of your camera---before spending money on something that doesn't fit--this forum has many people that can tell you what you need---if you can measure and describe your back---assume nothing--research everything Bert
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has offered some great information that will be very useful in the future. I had no idea about any of these differences in Grafmatics. And I can consider myself pretty lucky for getting the 'right' ones without knowing better. Now that I know better, we'll see if I am still as lucky

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.
And have a Happy New Year!

Rich...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: