Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what should I look for?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Just need some advice on what to look for when purchasing lens for the Ciro-Flex tlr model E camera I just got on E-bay. What sizes, models, will fit it. I have never shot a photo in medium format and need all advice in plain english
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the camera is intact, it has a viewing and a taking lens, neither of which can be interchanged. There used to be supplementary lens sets of Galilean design that afforded modest wide-angle and long-focus capability for twin-lens reflex cameras, and of course close-up lenses. I've had the pleasure of handling a "Ciro-Flex," but I never owned one, and so can't speak to the diameter and attachment method of front-lens accessories.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera does not accept interchangeable lenses. What you have is what you got. Look for a series VI adapter of the diameter of the OD of the lens. Then, you can use series VI filters, close up lenses, etc. When using close up lenses (ie: Kodak Portra lenses), you will need to slip the adapter/lens onto the viewing lens to focus, then slip it onto the taking lens to shoot.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
douggrosjean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to go would be to work with a machinist, have him / her machine a slip-fit adapter ring for the taking lens. Have that adapter ring able to accept some modern filters, perhaps have a 49mm thread on the end. I'm doing that on my Model F Ciro-Flex, because the taking lens is a different diameter from the taking lens on other model Ciro-Flexes.

But since you have an E-model, the Series VI filter system is probably the cheapest way to go, and they are often available on Ebay.

douggrosjean@wcnet.org
Olympus XA
Minolta XD11 w/ pinhole
Olympus Stylus
Nikon N80
Ciro-Flex Model C, D, E, F

[ This Message was edited by: douggrosjean on 2005-02-07 08:52 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a number of ingenious accessories available for twin-lens reflexes in the '50s and '60s.

One of the niftiest was a device from Mamiya designed to simplify work with close-up lenses. It consisted of a little platform with tripod screw, to hold the camera, that rode up and down on a scissors assembly whose vertical travel matched the separation between viewing and taking lens. That assembly was, in turn, fixed to a sturdy base with tripod socket.

You could use a pair of close-up lenses, one for the viewing and the other, for the taking lens. With the platform lowered, you focused; then you raised the platform to shoot.

If one were not doing anything much, some rainy weekend, it might be fun to make such a thing for a "Ciro-Flex."
douggrosjean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've collected, no.... I don't like that term because I bought the stuff to use.

I've amassed a few Ciro-Flex odds and ends that I think are cool. Not selling them, I'm using them. Series VI filter holders, a lens hood, a flash, and a set of Spiratone magnifying lenses for it. Allows really close-up portrait work, though the depth of field is really shallow. One goes on each lens, and then you just use it as you would normally.

Works really well. I continue to be amazed at how well this old stuff can work.

douggrosjean@gmail.com
Various 35mm SLR and P&S cameras,
Kodak Medalist, Rolleicord, and Ciro-Flex,
Burke & James 4x5 Press, and #10 Cirkut
Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the quick responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> CiroFlex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: