Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Film and Plate Holders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired an odd lot of Graflex 8x10
film holders, which included several marked 'plate holders'. They look the same, and have the same dimensions as the film versions, but do not have metal film sheaths. Does anyone know if there are any subtle differences? Can you add sheaths to these plate holders and use them as you would film holders? Chris
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in general you can add film sheaths to plate holders and turn them into film holders, but it's probably not worth it for 8x10" if the camera takes standard holders, since film sheaths are hard to find, and used wooden 8x10" film holders go for around $15 a piece (figure $30-50 for used modern plastic holders in 8x10").

I have 5x7" Graflex plate holders and a 12-plate bag mag with film sheaths, but those are non-standard sized, so it makes sense to do this for that camera. I also recently picked up some 5x7"-to-4x5" plate converters with 4x5" film sheaths, so I can shoot 4x5" in my 5x7" Press Graflex SLR if I want to (which I might for color or for shots to be enlarged, since I have a 4x5" enlarger, and not a 5x7" enlarger).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: