Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does my shutter have X synch yes/no?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
azkrazy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I posted this in another forum and thought I would try it here as well. I just bought a Graphic View 4 x 5 that came with a Kodak Ektar 203mm F7.7 lens in a Flash Supermatic Shutter. Lens is leaf shutter. I like the lens and even got some vintage prints ( 1950's ) with the camera that show how sharp this lens is. I would like to use this camera in studio with strobe units ( powerpack ). I don't see an X synch on the shutter, it has F and M but no X. It has the bipost connector and I read that Paramount Cords has synch cords for bipost. Does anyone know for sure if this shutter will work with strobe if I buy the bipost to household cord and if not is there anyway to make it work. Also if this shutter will not synch with strobe is there a shutter that I can buy and install this lens into? Can anyone recommend a good lens and shutter combo for this camera for portraits that will work with modern strobe ( that doesn't cost a fortune! ). Also this shutter has a button and a lever on the side that I can't figure out. What are they for? Thanks
jdman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some of those supermatics, and if you will search at http://groups.goggle.com you will find some interesting discussions about Supermatic Shutters. In essence they say that the shutter with the F and M has X if you do not use the delay lever. I believe the delay lever is one of the items you are asking about. The little round button is the press to focus button, which locks the shutter open for focus at any speed, instead of using the T function and then having to reset your shutter speed. Let me know if this helps. Russ
Jim23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another catch to the Supermatic. I has a 10,000 ohm resistor in series with the x-sync that keeps one from wasting a flash bulb if the syncronizer is not cocked. This series resistance will also keep most modern electronic flash units from tripping. The 10,000 ohms would allow the old Kodatron electronic flash to fire. Thus, the resistor must be shorted out. To remedy this, take a very small, fine-gauge solid bare wire, twist it two turns tightly around the flash connector pin or post closest to the "press focus" button and any screw that contacts the frame of the shutter (ground). This connection MUST be removed if flashbulbs are ever again used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: