Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lens boards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifth quadrant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have made various lens boards out of acrylic and have put a thread on the inside of the hole by heating the plastic in 2 spots adjacent to the hole with a heat gun or torch, placing the lens in the hole and then pushing the plastic plastic into the threads with a blunt object (preferably smaller than an anvil). not the best but works quite well with odd threads.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Depot sells something they call hard board. It's cheap about $2 Canadian for a 2'x2' sheet. Comes in at least two thicknesses. 1/4" and 1/8". Is fairly strong in the sizes used for lensboards. Can be worked easily with power tools.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will saw very well, be it hand, jig or table, but it won't rout worth a hoot. I burned up 3 bits trying to route a circle.

I gave up and used birch ply.

It's also not the greatest at holding small screws, the stuff wants to expand round the hole when you drill it. Better to drill a through hole and add a nut on the back.

BTW the trade name is Masonite. Also comes in tempered and non tempered. Tempered board will hold up better under damp situations better than the light non temp'd stuff. (At least that's what I prooved when I paneled a friend's garage with it.)
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of luck if you ask for "Masonite" at the Home Dep*t, much less tempered or untempered. Guaranteed blank stares from the sales staff, if you can even find any. You gotta be an old-timer to know any of this stuff. I guess at least two of us qualify in that department!
Les

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think Masonite is bad, try asking for beaver board!

Henry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaving that one strictly alone!
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, I didn't think anyone made beaver board any more. It was pretty handy stuff. For wooden lens boards, I use Weyerhauser Select Woods. I try to buy tulip poplar when I can find it, otherwise red oak. It's available in 1/4 inch thickness, perfect for wood Graphic boards. It can be found in small display racks in most good home centers or hardware stores, but not all of them. It really is nice stuff if you can find it. For less than 10 bucks, you can make several proper boards.
The poplar is easiest to work with and paints up nicely. By the way, Krylon has come out with a new spray paint called semi flat. It is a good close match for original for your new boards.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Les

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Beaverboard Companies melded into Certain Teed and I don't think you can get the fancy raised panels that you could in the 30s and 40s, but the grandchildren of the beavers are still around in the form of acoustical tile and homosote.

I live in an old house and early on converted the garage into a woodworking room to save money on the repairs. 10 years later I have $5000 worth of DeWalt, Porter Cable and Leigh Jig tools and $45,000 worth of cars sit outside all winter. Sure dear we're saving LOTS of money!

Anyway I bought about 350 board feet of Poplar at $1.65 a bf, and have a thickness planer to move those 3x11s into any shape I want them. I Made all of the storm and screen windows for the house and so far, jigs for every thing else.

(trying desprately to get back on topic) Poplar is a very nice hard wood, but if I'm going to make a three piece lensboard, I'd rather spend the extra couple of bucks and make several out of mahogany. For quickie boards that won't warp, I'll grab some scrap birch ply. It paints well too.
disemjg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Krylon semi-flat is a perfect match for painted fittings; all the back castings, tube finder bodies, focusing guide rails etc come out looking right. At least as right as their probably corroded and cleaned up condition permits. Krylon also makes an Ultra-Flat that is just the ticket for dead blacking lens hoods and the inside of lensboards or other such.

And I like the hobby shop plywood for my wooden lensboards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: