Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cliff Scofield is Alive and Well!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Cliff Scofield today, who is a few weeks away from his 99th birthday. To those of you who don't know Cliff...he lives in CT and has been a user, co-author of Super D Graflex repair manual (released in 2003 and available through Ed Rhomney's website) and repair source of reflex Graflex cameras. He owned his first Graflex in 1920 and is very interesting to talk with! You would never know he is 98 years old...as sharp as a whip. I called him to see if has a 5 X 7 Press Graflex camera he would be willing to part with...unfortunately he didn't.

If anyone would be interested in talking with Cliff, his phone number is 203-272-8388. I'm sure he would enjoy talking with other Graflex users.
jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with Cliff again. He just turned 100! He celebrated his birthday with family and friends. He still is very alert...one would never know he's 100. He said he recently sold his last Super D Graflex and only has the one Speed Graphic. He was on TV for a short interview and had his camera with him.

I am sure that he would love to hear from some fellow Graflex users/collectors if anyone is interested in calling him.
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that was FAST! Maybe that explains why I'm getting old so fast. Is that a known side effect of using Graflex?????
jpmose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec...as long as your young at heart!!! I hope you did OK with Hurricane Ivan!
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Young at heart". Well, I keep telling myself that! And so does my 93 yr.old mother, whose roomate in the nursing home is 104! [no history of Graflex use I can determine].

Yes, being just south of Birmingham, the effects were not nearly so pronounced here. No damage for me - just 3 days w/o power. Well over 50% of the customers in this state were w/o power. Lots of damage on our coast.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2004-09-24 08:51 ]
jpmose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just learned that Cliff Scofield recently passed away at the age of 100. Cliff was a photographer, author and camera repairman. Cliff also was a long-time susscriber and contributor to the "Graflex Historic Quarterly". Cliff also co-authored with the late Ed Romney, "The Super D Graflex, a Repair and User's Manual".

I probably spoke with Cliff more than a dozen times in the past 10 years. Like many, I developed a soft spot for Cliff! I will miss not talking with him about Graflex SLRs.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. These old folks have so much to offer, no matter what their field of expertise. The saddest part is that those fields are considered by a great portion of the younger generation as old fashioned, out dated and of no value. Hopefully, there will be enough young folks who will be interested in keeping the Graflex tradition alive and not just treat it as a passing fancy or a stepping stone to bigger and "better" things.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
berrybd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear that Cliff is gone. I visited him several times, being towed along by Paul Caponigro, in the seventies. We talked about the days when Cliff was treasurer of the New York Camera Club (Steichen was president at the time.) He had a great good humor and he didn't take any of us too seriously -- at the same time being very helpful. He was full of tips about the Super D Graflex kit I was putting together at the time, and he would send me updates on cool items I might add to it -- every five years or so -- until this spring. He knew his Protars too. I can't be too sad. He certainly enjoyed his life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: