Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polaroid and Ready/Quickload Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeithNP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all.
I have just "inherited" (my dad gave me) a Crown Graphic and a couple of lens/shutters. He also gave me a 545 polaroid back. I used the camera about 15 years ago, and nothing since then. I have a few questions:
1:I'm told that polaroid 55 p/n film will give a good positive, or a good negative, but not both at the same time. What do I have to do to get either (Different exposures, ASA/ISO settings?)
2: Do Kodak Readyload and Fuji Quickload films *really* work OK in the polaroid back, or is it better to cough up the $$$ for the dedicated film backs? (If thats the case, I may just skip it and hunt down a grafmatic back and use sheet film...)
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leafing through a current copy of View Camera at the bookstore the other day I noticed an article that called the 545 the "alternative film back of choice" for readyload films. the article carried a disclaimer that this held true for the current model of the 545i and 545pro
and had not actually tested an older model 545.

hope this helps

Kim Hartshorn
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually shot P/N one or two stops over and processed for 100 to 200% even though the company says this isn't necessary.

When getting down and dirty and not really wanting gallery quality prints from the neg, I've cleared it in stop bath, fixer, soap and water, and once in a lake.

I still get better results by clearing it in a bath of Sodium Sulfite 18% which is the recommended solution. Polaorid makes a bucket with basket for this purpose, but I never got around to using it.
KeithNP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the sodium sulfite, and a small developing tray. I used the p/n film back in college (approx 12 years ago) to take pictures of gels on a UV light table, and we re-used the same solution over and over until the cruddy bits of leftover developer got to be too much.
About your exposure recommendations - push one or 2 stops to get a better neg or print? I assume its for a better neg (over exposing would give a slightly thicker neg, giving me more wiggle room come printing time), but I just wanted to make sure.
-Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: