Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longer throw cable release?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm searching for a long(er) throw cable release and having no luck... I thought (as usual) that someone here might now a current brand that would work?

I need a 40 inch. And I need one because my brand new Calumet cable falls just about an 1/8 inch too short to trigger my Betax shutters...

I called Midwest and they told me that there are no long throw releases any more and I was out of luck! There must be something out there? I have an almost new black vinyl 40inch cable that works fine. I unfortunately bought it used and there's no name on it... Works good and has a disk lock though so I'm happy. Just can't find a second one...

And I now officially hate Midwest!!! When I checked their website looking for some stuff, I noticed they had just posted a 12-21-28 convertable lens in 9 condition at a nice price... After talking to them, it wound up the only thing I bought... They didn't have in stock anything else I needed... What luck! But now I don't need any more lenses (and I don't really hate them)... But they don't have a release that will work in the lens' betax shutter!

So if anyone knows of a cable release, please let me know. My black vinly one has a "T" grip for two fingers, a disk lock and extends 11/16 from the end of the threads. A little more sure wouldn't hurt!

Thanks...
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is to kluge up some kind of extension onto the plunger rod. Possibly some brass tubing from the hobby shop that would slip over the rod? After all, you wouldn't care that the rod won't retract oompletely, right? Or maybe some brass rod of the same diameter as the one on your cable release, joined together with some heat-shrink tubing?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-11 13:30, RichS wrote:
I'm searching for a long(er) throw cable release and having no luck... I thought (as usual) that someone here might now a current brand that would work?

I need a 40 inch. And I need one because my brand new Calumet cable falls just about an 1/8 inch too short to trigger my Betax shutters...

I called Midwest and they told me that there are no long throw releases any more and I was out of luck! There must be something out there? I have an almost new black vinyl 40inch cable that works fine. I unfortunately bought it used and there's no name on it... Works good and has a disk lock though so I'm happy. Just can't find a second one...

And I now officially hate Midwest!!! When I checked their website looking for some stuff, I noticed they had just posted a 12-21-28 convertable lens in 9 condition at a nice price... After talking to them, it wound up the only thing I bought... They didn't have in stock anything else I needed... What luck! But now I don't need any more lenses (and I don't really hate them)... But they don't have a release that will work in the lens' betax shutter!

So if anyone knows of a cable release, please let me know. My black vinly one has a "T" grip for two fingers, a disk lock and extends 11/16 from the end of the threads. A little more sure wouldn't hurt!

Thanks...

Look for a Gitzo. I don't know how easy finding a 40"/1 meter one will be. If you need a long throw the Gitzo made for use with the Beaulieu 5008 cine camera has the longest throw of any cable release I've ever seen. No other release I've had, including the nice Gitzo with 90 degree tip that I ruined early this year worked on that monstrosity. But the 5008 release isn't 40".

FWIW, not long ago I picked up a pair of 1 meter Gitzo releases from E. P. Levine via eBay. You might ask them if they have any left.

Yes, Rich, I have a 5008. Multispeed. And a 4008. ZM2. Crazier than you thought.

Last thought. Ilex shutters that need a really long throw release also need an overhaul, after which a shorter release will work on them. Look inside your Betax, perhaps it can be adjusted to work with a shorter throw release.

Cheers,

Dan
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, an extension? I may have to think about that. But I would worry about anything 'temporary' like heat shrink or glues. I'd hate to lose the piece inside a shutter out in the field...

Yes Dan, seems every time I talk to you, you get "crazier" The best I have is an old B&H wind-up 8mm form when I was a kid (not B&H, the store...)

The biggest problem is that I refuse to pay 40 bucks for a cable release!!! But they are available in long-enough throw for cheap. I found my other one. A cheap cloth covered one with a T lock that has a great throw. I'll bet it didn't cost me 10 bucks new, but who remembers from where or what brand???

You can easily tell the onger throw ones by how far the top is from the lock. Unfortunately, the on-line stores don't have photos up of the cheap ones and when they do it's "for illustaration purposes only". Doesn't help...

I guess I'll have to make some phone calls. But I really hate bothering these folks for a 10 or 15 dollar item even if I do buy two...

If I would have know it would become such an issue, I would have bought a half dozen when I found the right one, or at least remembered the brand But after seeing the throw, an easy 7/8 inch on this cloth one, this is the one I want to buy again! And it's plenty enough to fire any shutter I have...
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling. I've got one shutter that only one of my cables will fit. It's a no name cable that has been "improved" since then and the new "improved" model doesn't fit. I also need some long throw ones so keep us informed if you find any-))))))
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at least one shutter that won't work at all with stock releases. Seems the little tab the release rod hits is slightly off center and a bit worn. The round tip of the release slides right off it. I fixed that by filing the tip of the release rod flat. It now grabs and works with every shutter I have, and it still extends 7/8 of an inch!

So, I'm taking a chance here. My "best" 40 inch cable (also probably the cheapest!) is the cloth covered one with the T lock. Thinking about the time frame when I would have bought it and who I was buying new from, combined with it looking exactly like the picture of the "General Brand" at B&H, I ordered one today. Less than 10 bucks So hopefully by the end of the week I'll know if that's the one...
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the B&H order just arrived. I took out the cable release and measured. It comes out (literally) almost 15/16. And that will easily be the 7/8 inch I need after I file the tip flat. So these cables will work for every shutter I own.

I ordered:
2 GBCRC40 9.95 19.90
Cloth Covered Cable Release with Lock - 40"

They're listed as "General brand", but the package is "Bower" and "cable release cloth compur - set screw lock" and made in Germany.

I get the impression that B&H's "General Brand" means the cheapest item that's similar to what you bought that they have in stock at the moment... So if you order some, you could always call and verify the actual brand...

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought "General" brand actually was a brand.

I hope by the time I get enough to order they'll still be shipping the same cable-)
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember getting something from them a long time ago that said "General" but I could be wrong. I deffinitely remember ordering recently some 'general' stuff and getting "Doran" and another brand that just flew out of my head at the moment. So after a few years of ordering "General" products, I get the distinct impression that it really means whatever they have on the shelf...
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think today Doran,Praff,Watson and maybe others are all one company. Different names but the same people. I guess somebody bought up all the old names.
Rdwest1369

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-11 13:30, RichS wrote:

Thanks...

I had the same problem with all my tapered end cable releases I found a company in minnasota that makes straight end release adapters for use with the old stereo realist cable release socket which wont work with the contemporary tapered end cable releases the adapter cost all of 19.75 model # SRCA-03 from the 3d development company website http://www.representatives.com/3D e mail sales@representatives.com this little adapte works great & my cable releases don't fall out of the shutter it also adds about 6 inches in length to your release
hth
Richard West
ps. it also has a long throw so it will address your problem with those short throw releases

[ This Message was edited by: Rdwest1369 on 2004-07-14 10:53 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: