Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exposure Value Differentiation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perry Arnett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: Polaroid B&W: what is the ability of the human eye to differentiate between image Exposure Values i.e. 1/2 stop? 1/3 stop? 1/10 stop? 1/50 stop?

And likewise, what is the ability of most film types to differentiate between f stops?

From the practical standpoint, how small an Exposure Value CHANGE is usually considered to be recognizable (by either the eye or the film), and in an attempt to get that 'perfect' exposure, how small an EV change is a waste of film?

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-18 16:22, Perry Arnett wrote:
re: Polaroid B&W: what is the ability of the human eye to differentiate between image Exposure Values i.e. 1/2 stop? 1/3 stop? 1/10 stop? 1/50 stop?

From the practical standpoint, how small an Exposure Value CHANGE is usually considered to be recognizable (by either the eye or the film), and in an attempt to get that 'perfect' exposure, how small an EV change is a waste of film?

When you say by the eye do you mean look around and use your eye to meter? If so the problem is your brain processes everything you see. If you mean on a print then you've got the whole printing process in the way. If you're using slide film then you can't try and correct during printing.

I don't know of any meter that handles 1/50th of a stop. My digital meter handles 1/10th of a stop but the error might be bigger then that. If you're using slide film then you want to be close to perfect. It can be worthwhile to bracket if possible. If you're using print film then I'd say just go with it. I can get away with sunny 16 outdoors. My mental reading is usually well within 1/2 stop of what the meter reads.

One final monkey wrench. Your shutter. Your aperture. Your meter. All those and more can be off. Those errors all add up. I guess that's the main reason for testing your system out before hand.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK Grimes said any old shutter- be it a Graphex or Supermatic or even Rapid Compur, when well adjusted is accurate to a 1/2 stop. Copals can get you to 1/3 of a stop for shutter speed.

Beyond that, you'll have to go beyond the practical pictorirical shutter and get into the a more scientific shutter, ususally electonically controlled.

Now most of the older apertures are accurate, but not precise. That is, when is says f16, it really is f16, but the distance between f16 and f22 is in many cases less than 1/4".
How are you going to precisely locate in a repeatable fashion even f16 1/3 and f16 2/3? To parse that space more finely will difficult

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: