Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a solenoid?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have become convinced that there were two versions of the Flash Supermatic. I have been into mine to find and repair, if necessary, that "second" set of contacts and found none. Mine has the 10K resistor connected from the "ground" post to ground. This is by-passed when the shutter-delay is set. I found a book I bought from Ed Romney about adding flash synch to old shutters, and in it is a photo of the internal workings of a Flash Supermatic he referred to as the "M-X" Supermatic. It also has the timing mechanism for "M" lamps, but also has the second set of contacts with zero delay...that close when the shutter is wide open. There is no 10K resistor in this version. If the shutter delay is used for M lamps, the lamp is fired 20ms before the shutter is wide open. Then, when the shutter is wide open, the second set of contacts close, but this doesn't matter, because the M lamp has already been ignited. If you don't set the timer, the M contacts stay open, and the X contacts ignite the electronic flash when the shutter is wide open. At last, the mystery is solved (I think). There were two versions. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-12-01 06:44 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-01 06:41, clnfrd wrote:
OK, I have become convinced that there were two versions of the Flash Supermatic. I have been into mine to find and repair, if necessary, that "second" set of contacts and found none. Mine has the 10K resistor connected from the "ground" post to ground. This is by-passed when the shutter-delay is set. I found a book I bought from Ed Romney about adding flash synch to old shutters, and in it is a photo of the internal workings of a Flash Supermatic he referred to as the "M-X" Supermatic. It also has the timing mechanism for "M" lamps, but also has the second set of contacts with zero delay...that close when the shutter is wide open. There is no 10K resistor in this version. If the shutter delay is used for M lamps, the lamp is fired 20ms before the shutter is wide open. Then, when the shutter is wide open, the second set of contacts close, but this doesn't matter, because the M lamp has already been ignited. If you don't set the timer, the M contacts stay open, and the X contacts ignite the electronic flash when the shutter is wide open. At last, the mystery is solved (I think). There were two versions. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-12-01 06:44 ]
As Les will tell anyone who listens, in Rochester there were no rules at all.

Cheers,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,
can you give us the date code for the lens?
Just trying to make some logic out of chaos.
(see smiley running against a brick wall again, and again and again...and a.........)
worldphoto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a search for lenses and shutters on this site pull up all this great information under accessories and solenoids?
Harry
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is ES10735, 101mm Ektar, in a Kodak Flash Supermatic Shutter, which, according to CAMEROSITY, is 1947. Fred.
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, I have sent you private mail. Russs
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 versions of the flash Supermatic shutter. ie: M/F, M/X, and just plain old X. An educated guess would be that the periods of manufacture ran in that order, as changes in flash types progressed.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, glenn, that helps clear up the mystery. And Russ...I replied to your PM. Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last!! I see the infamous second set of contacts in the Flash Supermatics. I am currently working on one with the second set for X synch...and it does not have a 10K resistor from the "ground" post to ground. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: