Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the moderator wants input on "wanted" posts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a book about the Graphic line of Graflex cameras....Speed Crown Century. In order for it to be complete, it would be nice if I could borrow some of the smaller stuff from this community.....But there's always been a strict "no sales, no wants" policy, and some have been....er...vocal about it being a very high wall.

since I'm not wanting to buy, I suppose there is a very tiny loop hole in my case, but I want to see ...How does Optra put it? "What y'all think" before I go any further. Positive and Negative feed back will be appreciated.
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your request. It is in a different category after all. And if I happen to have anything here (doubtful) you'd be interested in, let me know!

On the broader subject. I also don't see anything wrong with general "wanted" ads. They are very different than sales ads.

I also wouldn't mind plain old sales ads either. But they would have to be seperated, controlled, and someone would have to maintain old posts and such. Probably more work than it's worth? And I'd hate to see general ads hogging up the space here. I'm sure it would be next to impossible to keep it Graflex...

My 2 cents, or is that allowed?

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-17 11:18, Les wrote:
I'm working on a book about the Graphic line of Graflex cameras....Speed Crown Century. In order for it to be complete, it would be nice if I could borrow some of the smaller stuff from this community.....But there's always been a strict "no sales, no wants" policy, and some have been....er...vocal about it being a very high wall.

since I'm not wanting to buy, I suppose there is a very tiny loop hole in my case, but I want to see ...How does Optra put it? "What y'all think" before I go any further. Positive and Negative feed back will be appreciated.
Les, on the one hand you risk setting a bad precedent. If we make an exception for you, whose motives are pure, sooner or later we might make an exception for me. My motives are purely commercial; I have an expensive habit.

Perhaps we could prevent scoundrels like me from abusing the board and Graflex fans by allowing only explicit requests for loans of equipment. Hard to police and like everything else open to abuse, but safer than allowing general posts of wants.

Second best would be allowing posts of want-to-buy as well as want-to-borrow. They should have an automatic expiration date.

Third best would be allowing offers to sell, also with automatic expiration dates. We have that a little now, because of flexibility about "get a load of this!" posts that point to active auctions on eBay. And I know that most of us who make these posts take pains to indicate that we don't own the items on offer.

Perhaps it would be best to make a one-time exception for you only, and for you to post once and for all a list of the items you'd like to borrow for the purpose of completing your book. Anything so you'll finish it and move on to better things.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen several posts by users who are looking for or wanting something...which usually prompt replies using the private message function. This doesn't seem to have ruffled any feathers or clogged the forum in the past, so I see nothing wrong with the moderator posting a list of items he would like to borrow in order to complete a history of Graflex...even if he winds up making a buck or two selling the publication. Replies to the moderator could be private messages. Fred.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further Fred's suggestion, perhaps a separate page on this site could be created outlining the book project and what is needed to further it, then there could be instructions or a link to the private message function in order to contact Les, thus taking any wanted postings off of this "no wants/no sales" discussion forum.

I wholeheartedly welcome & support the research that Les is doing to prepare a book and would like to know more about it and how he is getting along with his project. When it appears on the shelves at Borders & Barnes & Noble I will be the first in line to purchase many copies!
davebias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my opinion that what you're asking about violates no rules. Sure it is a "want" - but it's not a want-to-buy or -sell. It's a want that is made in the best of spirits and toward a goal that I think we all would agree is noble and worthy.

And I can't imagine that you'd clutter the board with unwanted messages. To avert any possible conflicts, I would think that starting a forum just for your project could be a good idea.

Even though I'd love to also have a section on this board for buying/selling, that is certainly a proverbial "can of worms" that my better sense tells me should be left to eBay...

I'm excited about your project, Les, and as possibly the youngest person regularly posting to this board, I'd like to tell you that I'm available for interviews.

Baker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-17 22:06, davebias wrote:
...as possibly the youngest person regularly posting to this board...

Nah, that'd probably be me. I'm 21.
davebias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-17 22:54, Baker wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-11-17 22:06, davebias wrote:
...as possibly the youngest person regularly posting to this board...

Nah, that'd probably be me. I'm 21.

I stand corrected!

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, can you clarify what it is you may wish to borrow? Items? Info? Both? That may have some bearing on the responses you get.
Thanks!

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Les

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part it will be smaller things, there are a few lenses I haven't been able to get on iBuy yet, maybe a roll back or two, flash units, Heiland, Mgna flash Ektalux and others, and I've discovered there are at least 8 variations of 45 Graphic Grafmatics. I'm still missing two.

These are relatively easy to ship so my total outlay (ship both ways) isnt' too high.

Cameras get expensive to borrow and so far I've done fairly well picking up the models I needed (and a few I never knew existed) on iBuy and reselling them. (well the first half anyway) There are a few that have eluded me so far however.

As for info, I'd rather trade Xerox copies than have originals around, but right now I'm still digesting a large pile of copies so I don't know exactly what I have and what I need.

As to the mechanics. I certainly wouldn't want to continue cloging up the forums. One thing Leigh made certain---he didn't want a "this weeks great sale (or want) type of thing going on.
Maybe a separate forum? I suppose I could get our Fearless Leader to put a link up for me on the home page, but who the heck looks at the home page, But I fear that would be too far away.

How things get back and forth would be done through the Private Message and regular email.

Or maybe it's just as simple as leaving my email address lnphoto@twmi.rr.com and those that want to help can drop me a line with what they have, and when the time comeses I'll contact them. My intention is to not have anything here for more than a week.

I'm not going to be asking for stuff right away, I've got 40 cameras + 30 lenses and a slew of backs to shoot and move out before I start borrowing other people's stuff. Then there's that work that creates income that has to be squeezed in there somewhere.
Les

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not much in the way of hardware on any vintage of these cameras that cannot be clarified with photos or drawings....dont see the need for a seperate forum, or sending cameras back and forth..just need to put our collections on a list, arrainged by ser no and sent to Les! With this info at hand, anything that he sees on a list that he needs info on, punch the email address, ask the questions he needs to ask!!
I will tear a camera down if needed for Les, he has gone to this trouble for me. My digital camera is always ready to shoot, I have a pretty good variety of pre-top finder Graphic,and Graflex SLR cameras
as well as a big box of CD's for perminent records, that could be easily shipped!
......Bert
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would welcome a bulletin board to which users could post their want lists, and I'm not sure I comprehend the evident hostility to listing items *******. If you stick to text-only descriptions of limited length -- no animated bears on bicycles, no pictures -- I don't see how such a service would use up a lot of bandwidth or storage. If someone wanted a photo, he or she could e-mail the prospective seller.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the "prime directive" to this board since it's inception was "no sales, no wants".
Leigh Klotz Jr is designer, bankroller and overall "man behind the green curtain" for the site.
He didn't want the site to devolve into "this week's great deals", or be clog up with Starwars fans in disguise..."Golly I'm just 10 years old and all I really want is a Graflex flash to go with my Grandfather's Speed Graphic that he used in the war to photograph some marines planting a flag on some island somewere, really it's not for Starwars. oh and I can't spend much because half my newspaper route money goes to help my little sister with polio......" We've had these here to

There are vendors, dealers, and camera stores that need our business.
For a while I peeked into other places with ******* posts and I have to say it wasn't nice.

RichS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I, for one, completely forgot about the flash handle problems. It would be a complete mess if a 'wanted' forum was opened. You're 100% right. It just wouldn't be worth the hassles it would cause...

But since you have your own site, how about just an announcment of what you're doing and where to go for a list of what you need. Then people could go to a page on your site and send you an e-mail? I'm sure that anyone who would be willing to help wouldn't mind a few extra mouse click...

alecj

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say since you're the moderator, you should do what you want to. This isn't a democracy. There shouldn't be a "majority vote wins" here.

See private mail for equipment note.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: