Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

203 f/7.7 Ektar suitable for a 5x7 Speeder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Springback

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here have experience with the 203 Ektar? On paper it looks like an ideal lens for the 5x7, but I was wondering if anyone was using them on Speed Graphics, especially the big 'uns.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used my 203 wolley on 5x7 but I would think it would work. But before you take this thing down a ski hill and turn it into kindling, take a good look at it and tell me if you can figure out why it has two sets of bushings on the handle side. Shown below:
http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/57.jpg
Springback

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INteresting. I've never seen a 5x7 Speed Graphic before. Any idea why?
Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two and have owned a third, but all mine are the much earlier Top Handle model. Yours fit's in with the Pre-Ann style (made in '31) . Top handle Speeds don't usually have any exposed bushings, and none of my 4x5 or 3x4 Speeds have had two sets.

The guys at Columbus Camera were very generous in letting me look at and photograph their camera, but the screwdrivers had to stay in my pocket, and I couldn't see anything by springing the back a bit and looking in.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An educated guess, They are guide rollers that keep the shutter curtain parallel to the back (inner ones) and the outer ones are the curtain spoools. The RB series use sometning simular.
Charles

Springback

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I was a bit concerned there----FWIW I just won two Baco 5x7 holders to sacrifice to the cause. Lets see--I've got the camera, two holders, and a lenses on the way....all I need now is snow(and ski lessons!

Springback

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

Since you got to see it up close and personal, what are your impressions? Does it look useable? I've always had good luck with Midwest Photo's stuff.
Springback

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind! It arrived today----looks pretty good to me, I'll get the mini-maglight and check the bellows. Not nearly as heavy as I though!-------Cheers!

Les

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn about this one. It's probably one of the last 100 made, and yes it's in very usable condition. Most of the time i say cameras are for shooting, not for putting under glass, but I guess I wished this one would go to a guy who liked to shoot close ups of his flowers in the conseratory.

Oh and the only problem you may have with the 203 is that it's slow. You'll probably be shooting @f8 if it's cloudy to keep the shutter speed up and that's nearly wide open. It's a good thing it performs well in that area. A 5x7 tessar would be a couple of stops faster,, and a couple of pounds (well several ounces) heavier.
Springback

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
I'll take extra special care of the old girl, I promise. When I unpacked it, there was a very nasty sounding rattle coming from the inside. Fortunately it was a small knob, one of the ones for rise, that had come off, and not a busted gg(whew!) I screwed it back in place and all is fine now. I am really impressed by the condition this camera is in. Putting the front standard back to close it up, I noticed some binding. Can you recommend a suitable lube? I've used lubriplate on other cameras for metal to metal lubrication. Is there something else more suitable for my new/old Speed?
Les

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's what was spec'd by Graflex Inc. Lith grease works well too.

waynec

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 203 is not going to have as much coverage as a late model lens in the 210mm range. I can't remember where I read the image circle but it was not much bigger than the 208.7 mm needed and I decided not to use mine for a 5x7 I'm building. A Sironar-S will give ya a 316mm image circle, is faster at F5.6 and takes 67mm filters. It is a very sharp lens and reasonably priced.
waynec

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. the 203 is rated at 216mm at F22. Fine if you shoot f32 for movements but who shoots there as you have to worry about diffraction setting in. The lens is actually reported to be the sharpest at F7.7! I've never tested mine tho, so would have to check that out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: