Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rangefinder repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paxety

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my other questions. I have a Miniature Speed Graphic with a rangefinder problem. The spot does not move at all. The cam moves OK, the shaft into the rangefinder turns, the "left-hand thread" screw moves back and forth. All of the scales are within the proper range per the repair manual. I see no sign that this rangefinder has ever been opened before.

Before I start the adjustment procedure outlined in the manual, is there anything obvious I am overlooking? I seem to remember that the position of the little spring on the lower mirror is important, but I don't remember what the correct positon is.

I thought I'd ask before I plunge in and risk making things worse. Ha.
j

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking thru the front windows, can you see an image of whats behind the camera or the rangefinder parts. Both front windows should show the same image, (camera closed). No image, ranefinder parts sceen is a bad mirror.

paxety

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirrors are fine - better than on my other cameras. There are two good, clear images (plus, looking your way, I see what's behind the camera through both glasses of the rangefinder). The trouble is that the lower image doesn't move at all when the camera is focused (or the rangefinder lever is moved by my finger.)I think I'm correct that the lower image moves to coincide with the upper - it may be the other way around.

I have adjusted Kalart side rangefinders on other models - on those, the lower image always moved up - just incorrectly. On this camera, it doesn't move at all, leading me to think something is wrong besides adjustment.
Thanks, all
j

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off is this the model Kalart that has either a Black or Chrome cover?

Or

Is this the early one where the scales are on the outside and the rangefinder is made from a squareish tube without a true cover?

If the former, I'd open it up and look around for a hair spring on the bottom prism/mirror--thats the one that moves.

If it's the latter....open it up, figure out what went wrong and report back, I haven't opened one of these yet and I have the same problem.

clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...don't know if this is the problem....but I've found the tip of the spring that moves the lower prism displaced (it should be on the rear of the prism assembly) , thus not moving the prism when the actuator arm is moved as you focus the camera. See if the spring has slipped off....and put it back behind the prism to get it going again. Fred.
paxety

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reporting back as ordered, Sir.

The rangefinder is one of the newer black ones, so sorry Les, you'll have to open your own and report back to the rest of us. Ha.

It was, indeed, the loweer spring slipped out of place. After pushing it into place, the rangefinder appears to be working fine.

Thank you very much.
j
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it fixed the problem. My post above was not entirely correct. The spring merely holds the prism snug against an adjustment on its mounting assembly. The whole prism assembly moves as you focus. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: