Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

focusing rails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sobahguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm new to this board. i have a crown graphic with focusing rails that are a little sluggish. what (if anything) should be used to lubricate the rails? my inclination would be graphite but i'm not sure. also where should it be applied..along the undersides of the length of the rails or just on the focusing knob pin on which the rails ride? any help is appreciated. thanks.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-09 13:24, sobahguy wrote:
i'm new to this board. i have a crown graphic with focusing rails that are a little sluggish. what (if anything) should be used to lubricate the rails? my inclination would be graphite but i'm not sure. also where should it be applied..along the undersides of the length of the rails or just on the focusing knob pin on which the rails ride? any help is appreciated. thanks.

Before you apply lubricant, check to make sure that the tension adjustment screw at the right front of the track (on the door, near the right knob) isn't tightened too much.

Cheers,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dan says, adjusting the tension screw may solve your problem. For lubing the mechanism, I have had good success with the Labelle line of model railroad lubricants available at the hobby shop. These are synthetic formulations, many of them plastic compatible (although there isn't much plastic in a Graphic camera---isn't that part of why we love them?). I would use the Labelle no. 106 plastic compatible grease with Teflon (R) on the underside of the carriage, on the gears and gear tracks, and one of the Labelle oils such as the no. 107 at either end of the shaft. Just a little of each should do the trick. I don't think you need to lubricate the guide rails on the bed frame; just make sure they're clean (alcohol on a cotton swab).
sobahguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i certainly do appreciate the advice. i will have a look at it this afternoon. i do have another question, though. i picked up a graphic "22" 6x6 back last night & was looking at it but i couldn't figure out the correct film path & also where on the film back to align the "start mark" arrows printed on the film backing paper. i do have a roll of practice film to play with & i think i may have had it right by putting the take-up spool on the right side, the full roll on the left & then running the film backwards around the "back" (front) of the cartridge from left to right then to the takeup spool. does this sound right? i'm hoping that someone can give some guidance as i couldn't find any film path illustrations on this graflex site. thanks again.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got it right. The "start" arrows are on the left side, so once you've put the paper in the takeup spool, start winding until the paper arrows match the arrows on the insert [Graflex calls it a carriage]. At that point, turn the exposure counter in the direction of the arrow - toward "S" - until it clicks into place and cannot be turned further. Put the carriage into the holder, close the cover, "actuate" [Graflex term] the advance lever until the No. 1 exposure position is reached, whereupon the lever will lock and you're ready for exposure #1. After taking a shot, move the release lever [small chrome lever] to the left releasing the mechanism. Advance the film until it locks again. Hope that makes sense.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. before i unspool the film from the supply spool, what should the exposure counter dial be set at? set at "s" & then insert into the board & close the cover then advance to "1"?? i'm sure after a time or two i'll be doing it with my eyes closed & cursing myself wondering how i ever could have been so dumb. anyway i really do appreciate the response...george.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe my last note read as more complicated than i intended it to be. upon re-reading your response alec it sounds like the counter should be set at "s" once the start mark on the backing paper aligns with the arrow on the top of the inside of the carriage frame near the top of the film spool. does this sound correct and a little less confusing? thanks.....
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-10 05:40, sobahguy wrote:
i certainly do appreciate the advice. i will have a look at it this afternoon. i do have another question, though. i picked up a graphic "22" 6x6 back last night & was looking at it but i couldn't figure out the correct film path & also where on the film back to align the "start mark" arrows printed on the film backing paper. i do have a roll of practice film to play with & i think i may have had it right by putting the take-up spool on the right side, the full roll on the left & then running the film backwards around the "back" (front) of the cartridge from left to right then to the takeup spool. does this sound right? i'm hoping that someone can give some guidance as i couldn't find any film path illustrations on this graflex site. thanks again.

Look, if you're stuck e-mail your address to me and I'll send you a copy of the instructions.

Leigh, if you haven't got the instructions posted somewhere obscure on the site, let me know, I can send you a copy too.

Cheers,

Dan
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-10 08:46, sobahguy wrote:
maybe my last note read as more complicated than i intended it to be. upon re-reading your response alec it sounds like the counter should be set at "s" once the start mark on the backing paper aligns with the arrow on the top of the inside of the carriage frame near the top of the film spool. does this sound correct and a little less confusing? thanks.....

You got it! Now, go do it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: